The G.I.T. Car

 Merriam Webster defines the British slang term git as "a foolish or worthless person," but in this case, while I do appreciate the other meaning, I'm intending it as an acronym for "guy in the [car]," as in, I took a car ride yesterday.  After many a mandated automobile trip last year for appointments to help patch me back together while I was still in a neck brace and restricted from riding a bike, my transport this year had been without a motor vehicle.  To continue with defining what I didn't intend, I don't say that as either a point of pride nor shaming of others, but simply see it as a reflection of how I want to, and choose to, live my life.  When I first met a friend in early May, and she was getting the specifications of my lifestyle, she asked if I ever expected to own a car again, and I answered, "No, it's not the way I want to live and I have the flexibility to choose otherwise." Simply, I don't find most time spent in a box on wheels enriching.

But yesterday, I did choose, without any necessity, to ride inside an automobile to southwestern Vermont, for my body's third trip round the loop over Glastenbury Mountain, and as a distinct bonus, I enjoyed the not surprisingly enriching conversation with Brian Rusieki who provided that ride, but keep in mind, that's the opinion of a fake engineer (how I define my last employment which included a business card naming me an engineer despite the degree in English) who appreciates his interactions with real ones.  Dare I say, half the fun of going is---no, I dare not.

Phone stayed in my sweaty arse pack, so this is the only photo you get, and it isn't even mine.

Credit to Liam Cregan

So, I chose car transport after over half a year without.  I'm not sure if that is the longest stretch in my lifetime, but I am now distinctly aware of it after experiencing a very combative interaction with a car just over a year ago.  I did consider riding to the trailhead on Saturday and camping to join Brian and Liam on their run Sunday, but a combination of more-than-damp forecasts on either side of the run, a 48 hour restriction on vigorous exercise beginning at 9 AM on Monday for a lab study, and the confidence that the 155 pounds of my body and gear would minutely increase the vehicle's fuel consumption combined to have me opt for the G.I.T. car.  I don't regret it.  We make choices, sometimes ones that are right for us at the time despite imperfections, but I take much solace that my choice was very conscience, which alas, I suspect most car travel is not, but rather just the default way-to-get-around.  Also, I still was treated to a thorough rain rinsing on my eighteen mile ride home from Brian's in the evening!

Comments

Popular Posts