Sometimes its the simple things

 No, definitely no always, but there are times when something small doesn't necessarily feel big, but just right. On a post run leg loosening roll through Belchertown, I saw a squirrel in the road, happily still alive and fully three dimensional. It saw me. It scampered.

Rolling past the spot it had occupied, I saw a round of what I'll guess was cow leg bone with lots of little white gnaw marks, from squirrel teeth. The archetype of squirrels has them as nut gatherers, stocking up a winter larder, but just like us, they are omnivores and apparently won't pass on a bit of meaty bone.

While yes, I too am an omnivore, I passed the bone, already well sated by a post run lunch, but then it occurred to me, three feet into a road is no place for a serene dining experience, especially with a half crazed bike rider (still working on full status) disturbing one's repast, so I looped around to give a quick kick, sending the snack a foot off the side of the road.

No, that doesn't make me a good person, too late for that, or even a simple animal empathizer.  It was just something I did, didn't cost me much time, and gave me a moment's enjoyment of maybe making some fellow omnivore's meal a little more pleasant and quite possibly a whole lot less fatal. And to keep it simple, now I'll end.

Comments

Popular Posts