I remembered!

 That is no insignificant statement from nor to a fellow with a brain injury, and I will acknowledge, I'm fantastically happy with the degree to which my damaged brain has recovered. I even rather quite recognize my thinking, although, to believe that, you are trusting the opinion of someone with a TBI!

But moving on, and moving on relates well to the one extra bit of debris I recalled after closed my last post with the recognition that there was more to tell, once I remembered what that was. Yes, I moved on, and happily moved forward, and on my ride up to meet friends Peter and Bruce at the D2R2 ramble, I realized that August 19th was the one year anniversary of my return to riding a bike.

It was August 18th when the scan of my neck showed fusing of the c3 and c4 vertebrae in my neck. I no longer had a broken neck. I NO LONGER HAD A BROKEN NECK! As you might imagine, that was a pretty big deal regardless, but two months since my previous last, but thankfully not final, bike ride, and after a month of ambling around with ski poles to protect against a fall, clearance to once again ride was huge for this Guy On The Bike.

I took it slow. Not only did I not ride until the next day, I even kept the neck brace on for the car ride home from the hospital until I was safely at home in a bounce free environment. Good move I think, my neck had been relieved from head supporting duties for the last two months, and yes, it was a wee bit out of training. It had also been trained to not twist or turn, which can be useful movements on a bike.

So August 19th, 2022, I rode a bike. Heck, pretty sure I even posted here about riding a bike. Yes, I could check that, but maybe for now, I'll just live in the moment. I don't remember the ride, where I went, nor for how long, but I'm confident it didn't feel easy. Also, while I'm certain of a heightened awareness of cars on the road around me, which continues to this day, I don't remember paranoia. I'm thankful for that, and definitely that I can once more be on a bike and in the word, mostly intact, maybe with just a touch of PTSA: post traumatic stress awareness.

Comments

Popular Posts