The default is faulty

 I run trails, as on foot, and some people are even willing to do that with me, so I've been included in a text distribution list of people who post various local trail runs and events. After some consideration, I just tapped "send" to push back against a good person who mentioned an event in outlying Conway this weekend and used "drive" as default language for travel.


Yes, I know. We live in a society where the default way to get somewhere is to drive (thereby making every "where" a little less able to support life). No, I'm not saying people can't choose to drive, but to not even acknowledge they are chooses is a huge loss for the world.

I truly debated sending that reply, but societal defaults are about attitudes, and sometimes someone has to be a tad antisocial, stand up, and say wait, maybe this perspective is wrong. Maybe we shouldn't own other people, or gas a particular group for having a different interpretation of the same God as us, maybe.

Yes, riding a bike takes more physical effort than driving, but I know far more people who ride bikes for shear enjoyment versus the same for driving, and I did know a few of the latter. I even was one at one time, but it was in a controlled environment with a lot of angular tire drifting. I've never heard anyone say, "I love my driving commute." So yes, biking places takes effort, and some life planning, but the results are grand!

Comments

Popular Posts