Different direction, totally different experience

 I have long opined that mountain biking out and back on the same trail is not repetitive. The ups become downs, one approaches obstacles inversely, and even repeated lefts turn out all-right! It's like a whole new trail, and I say it is.  More recently, I've discovered the same is true for trail running, and one of my favorite runs (ok, it is my FAVORITE) is the out and back of the Seven Sisters.

Even more more recently, tonight in fact, I've happily found the same can be true for riding a bike on the roads after dark. I finished my trip home pedaling past the spot where I was hit, in the dark, with lights, almost a year and a half ago, but going the opposite direction was an entirely different experience from that other time. This ride, no hit from behind by a car, and I just rode the half mile home after waving "hi" to the giant tree at road edge that I DIDN'T hit! No ambulance ride either this time,  and I could even remember my own name!

Much, much better, and totally different, I look forward to riding outside in the month to come instead of weighing down a hospital bed. Phew, life is good, really, really good. I like this direction of things.

Comments

Popular Posts