Some things were meant to been

 First, yes, this will be yet another post with my newish free awful department store bike as a central theme, so you've been warned to close this tab before reading further if that feels the best, or at least least bad.

<Pause>

What, you're still still here? My condolences, and of course empathy, not sympathy, for your lack of good taste. Miserable people do love the company of others so inclined.

Friday, I wandered a little on a bike. Ok, not just any bike, but the unjust bike known as the Schwindle. Yes, I still like it, although, as I said, I can relate to your poor taste. My wander took me through Holyoke, a town of much, much underrated highlights, and that took me past a kids bike that was left out for free, curbside.

Despite my questionable maturity, I have outgrown kids bikes, at least in physical stature, but hey, bikes catch my eye, as do the handlebar bags hanging on free ones. Despite their recent popularity as a bike packing accessory, and my absolute detestation of that marketing phrase (I'm resolutely a not-cool bicycle tourist when I travel), I have long been a fan of handlebar bags.

For one, a rider can actually reach what's stowed inside one while actually being a rider, how convenient! For two, I'm convinced, which isn't entirely difficult, handlebar bags are an aerodynamic advantage, as they block air from the enclosed pocket of the arms, chest, and legs when tucked, and I sense, very unquantitatively, my descending is slightly faster with one. Keep in mind, this comes from a bloke who thinks bar-middles are the apian mid-leg articulation.

And three, my new, used, side-of-the-road find wears logos that match my new affection!

Meant to buzz! 
And yes, the blue limiter strap is my solution to concerns about a fork design that uses the end of bolt threads to develop fastener torque in a structural connection. 
And yes, yes, I do need a proper rigid fork!

Comments

Popular Posts