More than I knew, I like trundling


Way back in the impending days of my taking the SAT, I was told the best way to improve a verbal score was to read, read, read a lot. Possibly that seemed sensible advice to give me, whose high school guidance counselor suggested that my PSAT verbal score, while not bad, might seem better, make me appear more well rounded, if my math score, by comparison, wasn't so high. So yes, on the actual SAT, I raised the math score by ten points while my verbal dropped. 

Jumping forward a few years, I left an engineering program to persue an English degree, thereby becoming a less completely lopsided person toward the technical, and hopefully I can now write well enough that this kinda, sorta, maybe makes some sensibilitudiness. Yup, despite that degree, my last business card called me "project engineer".

Reading to learn vocabulary, that sort of makes sense, but it can also make a degree of nonsense. A lot of word meanings can be learned from context, but not all those definitions are entirely precise, or even correct, such as my understanding of the word "trundle" until I consulted Merriam Webster a couple days ago. I has always read it as slow, labored movement, and there may be a hint of that, but the proscriptive definition is more simply, to move on wheels. 

So yes, despite my last post on the graces of movement on foot instead of just sitting around on a seatpost, with legs spinning around, I do genuinely like trundling on a bike, even when snow accumulation makes it feel like I'm hoofing it.

Comments

Popular Posts