That's a lot of bikes!

 

It was the time of year when a lot of people celebrate someone born amongst a bunch of livestock, and it was snowing, enough that local media was reporting on the hot, or cold, news story that frozen precipitation happens in New England. In all the excitement, the reporter reported that despite conditions, "There are still a ton of cars on the road." "Wow," I thought, "one small subcompact car, that seems pretty reasonable."

Surprise, surprise, I can be a bit of a literalist. As a child, I was a big fan of Amelia Bedilia stories, often inspired by them to dream up my own variations on the theme. So yes, when people often use "ton" to mean a lot, I immediately consider what 2,000 pounds of the item would mean.

One of my favorite back road routes to Greenfield and Turners Falls has been even better since I returned to the area because one of the bridges is now closed to motor vehicles, so much of what was once a common shortcut for motorists is no longer viable short. Yay, back roads are now quiet back roads. I was up that way yesterday and finally noticed the reduced-purposed bridge still carries weight limit signage, and yes, I'd love to someday see over one hundred bikes and riders filling that crossing!

Comments

Popular Posts