Running Back my Solstice Ride

 Sort of. Years ago, I was introduced to the concept of wogging, a combination of walking and jogging. Athough, given the environs and distance of yesterday's outing, hiking is more correct than walking, and with that combo, there is a pleasingly accurate porcine connotation to the resulting word.

My run yesterday followed some of my solstice loop in the opposite direction on trails I like a lot. It wasn't quick, often below the pace of truly running, and that was informative. My goal was to run 30 miles, and depending on which of the multiple GPS trackers I was tested is accurate, I exceeded that by two or three miles. That isn't my longest day on hoof, a title held by my 2023 summer solstice, but it is my longest "run" by, well, a pretty good run.

My phone tracker, 
with a longer sample interval, 
missed a full mile,
but the battery was happier

And yes, I learned some things by doing something new. A number of friends have run a lot, as in upwards of three times, further as I ran yesterday. Simply, that's awesome. I like long days of covering space under my own power, and I appreciate finding others who do as well, and I honor that they do so much more quickly than I did.

But speed, it isn't everything. I also put a sizeable chunk of value in enjoyment. I also like bathroom breaks and sitting in cool streams, both of which are included in that elapsed time. Sure, I could have stopped the tracker at those times and upped my average speed, but those times were part of my experience, and I prefer including them.

I also enjoy hiking, and while I set out with the intention of running, a little over half way, I decided that if, in the moment, walking felt good, I would ignore intention and instead be intentional about enjoying my day. I also justified this outlook with knowledge that less damage means quicker recovery and less time before I can head back out to partially damage myself again. I enjoyed yesterday. Now today, I'll ride a bike to help my legs recover.

The GPS watch found an extra mile,
but it was looking so hard,
it switch to battery protection mode with 2.5 miles to go.
Still, it fared better than the other watch that was "searching for connection" until I shut it off after over an hour.

Comments

Popular Posts