More living with technology
Technology takes many different forms, and not all of it is "high". Who needs a chainsaw (ok, yes, I do kinda need a saw for logging work) when there are sticks, like the one propped against the downed tree, screen right, to use as a lever? That's what I did to nudge the tree, the one that both my bike and the stick are leaning against, when it was blocking the trail. For reference, the divot in the ground, lower left screen, is where the but end originally sat. Ain't technology, even the simple kind, grand?
But even modern technology has it's limitations. The "more" of this post's title refers to the fact that I'm talking about technology again. I don't think it's advanced to the point that I'll live more, longer. In fact, limits may be a good thing. As I rolled down the trail today toward the descent, ok, drop, to Bay Road on the New England Trail, I wondered if 160mm of travel would inspire me to try riding it a third time.
The first time I road it was my first day in Amherst after transferring to UMass. My friend and first riding buddy, Steve, had started school down the street the year prior, so he knew the area and its trails. He took me out for a grand loop on what was then called the M&M trail, and avoided a long section of road that was added when people decided to make it the New England and lost permission to use wonderful sections due to the increased restrictions of the "national scenic trail" designation. The new trail is now less scenic.
Early on in that ride with Steve, after our first climb we started descending, and after a semi steep pitch, Steve said, "OK Salem, if you ride this next section, you're the man." I didn't realize he was joking, so I rolled into it. Part way down, there was a dip that I had to release the brakes to clear. Then I realized I could never brake again until I reached the bottom, twenty-five vertical feet lower, and let out a WHOOP! The people living across the street were outside and said they'd never seen anyone ride that. To put it in perspective, before the trail maintainers rerouted around that section with a much longer switchback that still uses stairs, there was a rope going down the descent so hikes would have something to hold.








Comments
Post a Comment